On this page:
- •SR 20 near the Coupeville Ferry Dock
- • Sharpes Corner
- • Clinton Ferry Dock Passenger Pick-up
- • Deception Pass Bridge to be re-painted.
Crews will be back in this area starting Monday, Sept. 17 to put down permanent striping and do landscaping work. Evening and overnight drivers should plan for weeknight lane closures during this work.
Sharpes Corner is the intersection of SR 20 where, just before Anacortes, it turns left to head south to Whidbey Island, is finished undergoing a major overhaul this summer.
What had been a traffic light, is now a two lane roundabout, eliminating what had been a dangerous backup in the left turn lane heading to Whidbey Island.
Drive safely, watch for bicyclists, deer, and pedestrians.
Paving Work Near Coupeville Ferry
Paving resurfacing continues on State Route 20 from the Coupeville Ferry Terminal to the intersection with State Route 525. People driving to take the ferry should either leave earlier or plan for alternate routes.
Paving is in the home stretch, with people cleaning loose gravel from their chip sealing project.
Island County Paving Map
Deception Pass Bridge Painting
Summer 2019 & Summer 2020
At 83 years old, the Deception Pass Bridge and Canoe Pass Bridge are looking really good! But, it's time for a paint job. So, starting in the summer of 2019, crews will be on the job and (mostly) under the bridge. They'll be painting the bridge the same color it is now, Evergreen Green.
While this isn't expected to impact driving the bridges, there will be some changes. According to the Washington Department of Transportation, they are:
- • Only one sidewalk available for those walking across the bridge.
- • Limited parking near the bridge
- • Tents will be hanging from the structure (to keep paint/debris from falling into the water).
- • Noise day and night for those who live in or visit the area.
Clinton Ferry Dock
Passenger Pick Up Area
Washington’s DOT will be improving the passenger pick-up area at the Clinton Ferry Dock in the fall of 2018. The changes are:
- Widen Ferry Dock road so drivers no longer block the road when picking up or dropping off ferry customers.
- Add a separate pick up and drop off zone, with a thru lane and pedestrian platform with a shelter and bench.
- Improve sidewalks in the area and ensure that they are ADA compliant.
- Include a new retaining wall on Columbia Beach drive.