Deception Pass Bridge Painting
At 80+ years old, the Deception Pass Bridge and Canoe Pass Bridge are looking really good! But, it's time for a paint job. So, starting in May of 2019, crews spent all but the winter months sanding, scraping and painting the two bridges. They're painting the bridge the same color it is now, Evergreen Green. They hope to finish the project in 2022.
All lanes are open during the day.
Other changes according to the Washington Department of Transportation, are:
- Only one sidewalk available for those walking across the bridge.
- Limited parking near the bridge INCLUDING THE VERY POPULAR LOT SOUTH OF THE BRIDGE
- One lane of the bridge is closed Tuesday and Thursday nights between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m.
- A containment system will be hanging from the structure (to keep paint/debris from falling into the water).
- Noise day and night for those who live in or visit the area.
Consider turning west at the traffic light south of Deception Pass to see the bridge. Look for the signs that point to North Beach. A Discover Pass or $10 parking is required as you will be entering the park.
Island County Paving Map
As Island County identifies upcoming road projects, you'll see them here.